Thursday 3 January 2008

News from Jean Campbell -- D&A Webmaster

Jean Campbell in Florida
Good Morning - or afternoon and a very happy new year to you all. We arrived here on the 5th November and it feels like a few days ago - we certainly cannot complain about the weather as this is the second time we have seen some real rain (we have had the very odd sprinkle) and Florida badly needs it.
We were told last night on the news that it is the driest it has been for more than ten years (at this time of year) and all sorts of warning were given about the use of fireworks and there was certainly plenty of them last night. We dined outside as usual and watched these fireworks coming from all over the place - then things were quiet until midnight and then the sky was lit up again and it was very nice to see. John as usual went off to bed - I like to watch the tv programme from Times Square and managed to stay awake until midnight.

Where we play golf, there are a few lakes on the course and they are so low and they have recently introduced a ban on watering of gardens - I think it is only one day a week - so this rain is so badly needed and honestly since I ain't going anywhere, I hope it rains all day long. John has been busy playing table tennis and won a couple of medals in the state championship - he has recently started playing on a Thursday night at a club in Fort Myers and the standard there is higher than the club we go to in Sarasota. The sports centre where it is held is quite a place - only two years old and just super - since I go with him as the driver!! - we both joined this place at a cost of $5 each and don't have to pay anything when we go - wish they had this sort of facility in Scotland as surely it would encourage youngsters to take part - when it is almost free!!! There is one huge area which can be used for all kinds of sports with seating and also a dividing wall and then so many other smaller rooms for a variety of activities including a computer class!!! The school which is right next to this place was built at the same time and a couple of weeks ago when we arrived we saw crowds going into the school and I found out that there was a musical concert and in I went and again was impressed with the facilities - the programme started with the youngest musicians playing fairly easy but good tunes and then on to the next group - there was a group of older singers and they joined with the school choir to sing a few numbers. We also had a girl dancing - I was just so impressed with the talent on show and all those instruments - great to see. The concert was held in a huge hall and again it had all sorts of facilities for various sports and a stage - I was sorry I was unable to wait until the end of the concert.

We have been playing golf (of course) although probably not as much as we have in the past - my golf has been a bit mixed until the last couple of times that I have played, I don't know what I am doing BUT I wish I could parcel it up and bring it home - yesterday John played his best golf since arriving and this made it more enjoyable for MEEEEE!!! We shall see what I do next time I am out.

There is a law here that dogs must be kept on a lead - we arrived home a few weeks ago - drove into the garage and then heard this awful noise across the road where there is vacant lots and then onto a canal - the dog from two houses along was attacking a heron!!! The owner was screaming at her dog and we saw the heron get up and it was making such a noise and flapping its wings - it eventually limped into the bushes but it was not nice to see. We have since received a letter from this woman saying that her dog did not touch the heron!!! She wants us to speak to her about this - but we will not have anything to do with her - we both know what we saw. These people also own two maccaws and the noise from these birds is not acceptable - if I lived next door I would pop in and slit their throats!!!!!!
Well it is still raining and it is now time to give my fingers a well earned rest!!!

Loved you dancing in your Santa outfit Carol - my sister did one for me as an elf!!! I am thinking of working on the routine for the county dinner!!!##

Best Wishes for a good and healthy 2008