Thursday 28 July 2011

Blisters or no blisters, Pamela would have crawled on to the first tee at Carnoustie


From the LGU Website 27.07.2011

Pamela Pretswell, the Hamilton girl who might have become the Andy Murray of the female tennis world, says she has no regrets at turning her back on tennis seven years ago when she was 15 and was Scotland’s top-ranked girl player at tennis – and No 2 in junior badminton!
Speaking at Carnoustie where the Bothwell Castle GC member is one of six amateurs in a field of the best female golfers in the world, assembled for the Ricoh British Women’s Open championship, the 22-year-old business and management degree graduate from Glasgow University, said:
“Giving up tennis was the best decision I ever made. To be as dedicated to a career in tennis as Andy Murray (two years older) was, I would have had to give up the idea of going to university, completing an education and having a life,” she said.
“I turned my attentions to golf because I knew I could play and practise golf and still get a university education. And seven years later I had won the British women’s open amateur stroke-play championship and played for Great Britain and Ireland in the Curtis Cup and Vagliano Trophy, so I have absolutely no regrets at all. I have not swung a tennis racquet again since the day I walked away from the sport.”
It was winning last year’s British stroke-play title at Tenby that won Pamela a place in the Ricoh Women’s British Open this week and even though she had to withdraw from last Saturday’s final round in Holland of the European women’s amateur championship, there was never any doubt that she would be there when her name is called on the first tee at Carnoustie on Thursday.
“I have a tendency to get blisters on my feet and I had them last week in Holland. I had them lanced but it would have been too painful to play in the last round. I could have finished in the top 20, maybe better, but it would have been too sore,” said Pamela.
“Different story this week, of course, I would have crawled on to the first tee if I had had to, blisters or no blisters and taken 10 hours to get round if need be …. I’ve looked forward to the Ricoh British Women’s Open championship since the day last August I knew I had won a place in the field by winning the British stroke-play.
“Carnoustie is quite simply the best course I have ever played. There is no easy shot or easy hole on the course. It just doesn’t give you a break … and that’s the way I like it. The tougher the course, the better I like it.
“And I’m right in the mood for this week. I’m just come off the best bucket of balls I’ve probably ever hit on a practice range.”
Pamela’s dad William Pretswell is her caddie and though Kevin Craggs is her coach, her father, who was a scratch player – he’s not 55 – and a Scottish universities champion in his day.
“He’s a good caddie. Knows when to speak up, knows when to keep quiet and he obviously knows the game, having been a scratch player,” said Pamela who might now win the Ricoh Women’s British Open this week but could certainly do a Tom Lewis, winner of the R&A Amateur Silver Medal at Royal St George’s a week or two back.
Yes, there is a Silver medal for the leading ladies amateur in the women’s Major but, the same rules apply as in the men’s Open, making the halfway cut is mandatory in qualifying to win the Smythe Medal on Sunday.
So what does the future hold for Pamela Pretswell?
“I intend going to the Ladies European Tour School later in the year and I think I have the game to make the grade,” she said. “If not, then I would probably set up a business to make the most of my university qualifications.”
She’s a smart girl is our Pamela.