Sunday 20 July 2014

KYLIE WINS THE GERMAN OPEN AFTER A PLAY OFF AGAINST CHARLEY HULL

Kylie Walker Winner of the German Open

Wörthsee/Munich, July 20, 2014 - Scotland’s Kylie Walker survived a final round charge by Charley Hull of England to win the Ladies German Open presented by Marriott.

Walker won with a par on the first extra hole at Golfclub Wörthsee, two months after earning her first Ladies European Tour title in similar fashion, in a play-off at the Deloitte Ladies Open in Holland.

The 27-year-old Glaswegian began the final round with a six stroke lead, but Hull fired a final round 65 to join her on a 72-hole total of 25-under-par.

Hull applied pressure from the beginning, opening with three straight birdies, and she narrowed Walker’s advantage to one stroke with a fourth birdie on the eighth hole. An up and down for birdie from the bunker short and left of the ninth green saw Walker make the turn in level par 36 and she took a two stroke lead into the back nine.

Hull then birdied 12, but then Walker pulled two clear with a birdie on 13. Walker bogeyed 14 and both players birdied 15, before Hull eventually drew level by making a five footer for birdie on the 17th green.

Both players missed birdie chances on the last hole and returned to the 18th tee in a heavy shower. In the play-off, Hull hit her drive into trees and had to chip out. She then hit her third shot to within five feet of the flag but missed her par putt, whereas Walker was on the green for two and took a par.

“It was pretty nerve-wracking. Charley played brilliantly today because it was slightly tougher conditions as well. I wasn’t quite playing as well as I have done the rest of the week but I’m delighted to have hung in there today and get the win,” said Walker, who added a final round 71 to her three opening 64s. “I was hoping not for a play-off, I was trying to win it in regulation play but it didn’t happen and Charley made a great birdie on 17 to tie for the lead. I was delighted in the play-off that I made a solid par and managed to get it. I’m delighted. I’m just living the dream at the moment. I’m really happy and enjoying my golf.”

Hull took the disappointment on the chin and said: “I just blocked my tee shot on the last which was annoying but I hit a good shot in and a good putt. I’m quite happy. It’s been a long three weeks and I’m a bit tired now because I’ve been in contention all three weeks and especially with a major in the middle of it. To finish it off with a second place is not too bad.

“I’m looking forward to my next competitions after I have a week or so off because I feel like my game is in really good condition. I’ll keep doing what I’m doing. It’s a shame because in regulation play on 18 I hit my drive 305 yards, so it’s a shame for me to push it a little bit in my play-off hole.

Leading Scores:

263 - Kylie Walker (SCO) 64 64 64 71, Charley Hull (ENG) 64 70 64 65
265 - Carlota Ciganda (ESP) 65 70 67 63
270 - Yu Yang Zhang (CHN) 64 67 67 72, Amy Boulden (WAL) 68 68 65 69, Sandra Gal (GER) 69 67 66 68, Gwladys Nocera (FRA) 69 70 66 65
271 - Celine Herbin (FRA) 67 68 65 71
272 - Sally Watson (SCO) 70 66 69 67, Klara Spilkova (CZE) 67 68 68 69

Other Scot:
284 - Vikki Laing (SCO) 68 69 76 71,

To read the full report go to Kirkwood Golf