Wednesday 30 April 2008

Ladies Scottish Open starts tomorrow

FROM THE LADIES EUROPEAN TOUR WEBSITE
Mhairi McKay, Clare Queen and Lynn Kenny are all aiming to become the first Scot to win on home soil since Catriona Matthew won in 1998 when they tee up in the Aberdeen Asset Management Ladies Scottish Open at The Carrick on Loch Lomond, which begins on Thursday.
McKay, who now bases herself in Los Alamos, New Mexico, jetted in from Miami on Monday afternoon. The two-time Solheim Cup player is the most high profile Scottish player in the field. She won her sole professional tournament at the AAMI Australian Women’s Open.
However, with a share of fifth place at last year’s event - played later in the season - on the same golf course, Kenny tied as the leading Scot and hopes to improve on her career best performance in front of the home galleries this time.
“I’ve got good memories from it from last year. I was cruising along at a different level. It was good,” Kenny said. “I think it’s about time I started winning. The last couple of years I’ve been biding my time and I think I’m ready to get some top 10s and top-five finishes; start challenging for titles instead of just making up the numbers.
“I think now I’ve signed a new deal with TaylorMade I feel like a real professional! I’ve got a caddie on the bag so everything is falling into place nicely. I think it’s about time I made a move.”
Queen has the advantage that she is attached to the course and regularly practises at the facility. After a good start to the year, she is also hoping to secure her maiden win.
“At the end of the season I’d like to be in the top 20. My initial target is to get into the top 25 in time for the British Open at Sunningdale,” said Queen.
“I’m just taking it on the progress that I’ve made over the last couple of years.”
Having played in the pro-am on Tuesday, McKay commented: “The course is a great lay-out and they’ve set it up well for the girls. It’s going to be a fun week. Obviously the weather is cold and you are fighting for every inch. The ball doesn’t fly quite as far as it does in Florida.
“Last year we were unfortunate to get the bad weather. Hopefully this year things will improve. Yesterday was a nice day. I don’t know what the forecast is. You can’t come home to Scotland without a bit of rain!”
Kenny and Queen faced the defending champion Sophie Gustafson and Johanna Westerberg, both from Sweden, in a nearest-the-pin style competition this morning. The LET players hit two shots each from the top of a motorboat on Loch Lomond onto the 15th green at The Carrick.
The Scottish pair won and earned a weekend break in a mansion house at the De Vere resort. Unfortunately, Queen dropped her golf bag while posing for a photograph with Kenny and snapped her driver’s Grafalloy shaft in the process.
At first she and Kenny thought the head cover had fallen into the water. “It was quite funny until I realised that the shaft was attached to it and it was in two bits!” said Queen, who should have it repaired by her 8.30am tee time in the first round tomorrow morning.

The West of Scotland players who are playing with the professionals are Megan Briggs and Kylie Walker . We wish them all the best for the tournament and please do go along and support them