Friday 11 March 2022

Lorna McClymont completes hat-trick in R&A Student Tour Series

Lorna McClymont (Photo Courtesy of the R&A)

By Martin Dempster (The Scotsman Newspaper)

In-form University of Stirling student Lorna McClymont claimed a third straight R&A Student Tour Series victory after winning a play-off in the Spanish leg.

The 21-year-old, who is a member of Milngavie, started the final round at Infinitum Golf in Tarragona two shots behind Welsh woman Darcey Harry.

But, after signing for a closing one-over 72, McClymont joined 18-year-old Harry at the top of the leaderboard on five-over 218.

McClymont, a sports studies student, forced the play-off with a closing birdie-4 then repeated the feat at the first extra hole.

“I knew I had to go for it at the last and was pleased to see the ball land on the green,” said McClymont, who had already won events in Portugal and Ireland.

“In the play-off, I was even closer to the green and hit a 4-iron, so that hole was crucial for me today.

“It’s a bit special to think I’ve won the last three (Tour Series events). It gives me a lot of confidence for the rest of the season.