Tuesday 5 August 2008

Pamela Pretswell wins Swiss amateur title

Pamela Pretwell - Click to enlarge
Bothwell Castle’s Pamela Pretswell pictured above has scored a marvellous win in the Swiss International Women’s Amateur Championship at Lucerne.
She has sent a report for you to read.
You can scroll down for that, but first the leading final totals were:
Par 288 (4 x 72).
284 Pamela Pretswell (Sco) 78 72 67 67
285 Thea Hoffmeister (Ger) 71 75 72 67, Pia Halbig (Ger) 72 67 72 64.
289 Anais Maggetti (Swi) 71 75 73 70
She has sent a report to Colin Farquharson for you to read.
Pamela Pretswell reports:
LUCERNE, SWITZERLAND.
I have been playing in the Swiss International Amateur Ladies Championship 2008 at the Sempachersee Golf Club near Lucerne http://www.golf-sempachersee.ch/. This is an European Amateur Golf Ranking Event played over 72 hole [I came over for a bit of a holiday and a bit of golf].
I am pleased to report that I won the Championship with a total of 284 (78-72-67-67). The par was 72 and the course rating was 75.8 for each round. I finished four under par and 19.2 under the course rating for the championship.
I started with a 78 on Friday (with play being disrupted due to a thunderstorm) which left me outside the projected cut to 20 players but improved with a par round of 72 on Saturday to qualify for the final 36 holes in 11th equal position.
That left me 11 shots behind the leader, Pia Halbig from Germany, who shot 72-67 to lead the field by five shots.
On Sunday morning I scored a third-round 67 (five under par) to move into second place, one shot ahead of Thea Hoffmeister from Germany who scored a 72, but still six shots behind Pia Halbig who also returned a par 72.
Both Pia and Thea played in the Germany team at the recent European Ladies Team Championship in Sweden where our Scotland team had a successful tournament and finished ahead of the Germans in seventh place.
On Sunday afternoon, I scored another five-under-par 67 to win the championship by one shot from both Pia Halbig (who scored 2 over par 74) and Thea Hoffmeister who also scored a 5 under 67 in the final round.
I was really pleased with the way that I played over the last two rounds on Sunday. I have played a lot of links golf recently, which may have contributed to my first round score but I quickly adjusted to the conditions here in Switzerland and played consistently for the last 54 holes.
I was delighted with my 10 under par score on the final day, including 13 birdies, in extremely hot and tiring conditions and to fight back and win this international championship.
Winning this championship has also earned me an invitation to the 2009 Ladies European Tour Deutsche Bank Ladies' Swiss Open in Lausanne, Switzerland next year.

Pamela Pretswell
Lucerne, Switzerland

Note from the Gillian Kirkwood, Editor Colin Farquharson . Not only does Pamela play golf rather well, she writes a nice report, don't you think?

Pamela has certainly hit a hot streak of form. She was pipped by Kelsey MacDonald for the Scottish Under-21 girls' stroke-play championship at Powfoot and then set a record low 36-hole aggregate (15 under par) in winning the Mackie Bowl at Gullane.
Now she goes very low again to win on the international scene.

Pamela is Scotland's golfing girl of the moment

If you want to send her congratulations, Colin@Scottishgolfview.com will pass them on for you
To read some of the congratulations so far go to Gillian Kirkwood Website

Many , Many Congratulations from all in the West