Monday 17 October 2016

TROON'S HAZEL MACGARVIE WINS THE 2016 GIRLS MERIT AWARD


Hazel MacGarvie - 2016 Scottish Girls Champion
Photo - courtesy of Scottish Golf

Scottish Golf’s Orders of Merit
have been finalised with Hannah McCook, Hazel MacGarvie and Sheena Wood winning the respective womens', girls and senior domestic titles for 2016.

Troon’s Hazel MacGarvie has won the 2016 girls’ merit award  with 902 points from four events, ahead of Jasmine Mackintosh from Hazlehead on 834, and Gullane’s Joanne Free on 759 who pipped Shannon McWilliam (Aboyne) by one point.

She said: “I am delighted to win the Girls’ Order of Merit especially since I didn't play in many counting events. I think this season has been successful. I really just wanted to do the best I could bearing in mind I was sitting my Highers, my last one not being until the beginning of June.”

The 17 year-old’s season included winning all six of her matches at the Home Internationals, and she even squared a match with Thomas Pieters in practice ahead of the Open Championship. But it was her victory in the weather-disrupted Scottish Girls Amateur Championship which was key in topping the girls’ Order.

“I was really pleased to win the Scottish Girls, particularly finishing on three under and then going onto win with an eagle at the par four first. Next year I just want to continue to improve my game.”

To read the full report go to the KIRKWOOD GOLF WEBSITE