Sunday 22 July 2018

KYLIE HENRY RELISHES THE CHALLENGE OF THE FORTNIGHT AHEAD

by Susan Egelstaff

The next fortnight is the biggest of Kylie Henry’s entire year. With the Ladies Scottish Open beginning in Gullane on Thursday and the Women’s British Open the following week, there are no other tournaments that can match this pair.
There is no hint of nervousness from the 31-year-old though. In fact, the Glaswegian is relishing taking on the best in the world. The Ladies Scottish Open field is the strongest ever assembled and includes all the current Major winners.

But Henry merely sees that as a challenge rather than something to be daunted by, and she hopes home advantage will give her a slight edge.
“I’m really looking forward to the Scottish, especially with it being in Gullane,” she said. “I’ve played Gullane a lot over the years so I’m really excited to be back.
“It’s such a strong field. You’ve got pretty much all the top players in the world playing which is fantastic. And we have the prime spot right before the British Open so these top players are wanting to play links golf and Gullane is such a good test.
“It’s so great for Scotland and I’m so proud that we have this here because it’s the biggest event on the European Tour by miles.”
Henry knows what it takes to win on the European Tour having claimed two titles, both in 2014, which was the year she also recorded her best Scottish Open finish of 11th. However, she is conscious that if she puts too much pressure on herself this week, she will not come out with the result she wants.

“I don’t go in with any specific targets,” she said. “It’s such a big event but the key is not to build it up too much. And with it being my home tournament, it has all the aspects that would result in you putting extra pressure on yourself - and I think I have done that in the past - but it's important to look at it as just another tournament concentrating on the things you can control."
Henry had, until this season, plied her trade exclusively on the Ladies European Tour but with significant challenges in terms of getting a full schedule together, she decided this year to do something different.

Having held her card for the Symetra Tour in America, which is the feeder tour for the LPGA Tour, for a number of years, she decided this was the time to add some State-side tournaments to her calendar.

The European Tour remains her priority but a handful of tournaments in America, including one last week in New York, has proved hugely beneficial for the Glaswegian.
“I found it really difficult last year having such big gaps in the schedule,” she said “Playing tournaments regularly is the way for me to develop my game rather than spending four or five weeks at home at a time practicing.So this has been a good change for me and I feel really happy with my game, I feel like it’s improving.”

There is, though, an entirely different feel to the tour in America in comparison to Europe but it is a contrast Henry has embraced.
“It’s a totally different atmosphere on the Symetra Tour. The girls aren’t settled because everyone is striving to be on the LPGA Tour,” she said. “A lot of the players on the European Tour are pretty settled but the girls on the Symetra Tour are generally a lot younger and they’re all working their butts off to progress to the next level so it’s cool to be in that kind of environment.”
With Henry’s focus switching to the Women’s British Open as soon as the Scottish Open is over, this is exactly the kind of high-stakes few weeks she relishes.
“These two tournaments coming up are exactly why I play golf,” she said. "I went down and played Lytham [where the British Open will be held] the other week - that was the first time I’d ever played it and I loved it. Obviously I want to play well but my main focus is to enjoy it and actually, that’s the key for me to playing well, making sure I’m having fun.”