Monday 17 August 2020

KYLIE HENRY HOPES TO CARRY HER GOOD FORM ON TO ROYAL TROON


  • The Courier & Advertiser 
  • Kylie Henry will be staying in a hotel just 10 minutes’ drive from her home for the Women’s Open at Royal Troon next week, but that’s bearable as she’d have “done just about anything” to be there.

    Henry signed off the Aberdeen Standard Investments Ladies Scottish Open with a three-under-par 68 to finish one-under and in a tie for 12th, the best finisher from any of the home nations at the Renaissance.

    She was an impressive five-under for the weekend, illustrating again that the form that led her to her two LET titles is coming back.


    The main aim of the weekend was to finally book her place at Royal Troon, and that was assured even before she played yesterday’s round.


    “I played Royal Troon every year as an amateur because we have the Helen Holm Scottish Championship there every year, but not for the last 11 years, and I can’t wait to go back,” she said.

    “I’ve played six Women’s Opens before but I’d have done anything to play in this one so close to home. In fact, I’m staying at the tournament bubble hotel even though my house is just a little bit further away and my parents’ house is closer to Royal Troon.


    “My husband (tour pro Scott Henry) was just moaning to me that I’ll be only five minutes away next week but he’ll not be able to see me!”


    Kylie is most pleased to have picked up from where she left off before lockdown, and admits that the stop was doubly frustrating for her.

    “I just felt everything was falling into place for me, I had a couple of good finishes in Australia and everything was looking good for the season before it all came to a halt,” she added.

    She warmed up for this current stretch – five tournaments in six weeks as the LET gets under way again – by playing against the men in the Tartan Pro Tour event at Carnoustie, playing with host Paul Lawrie and finishing a highly creditable 10th.

    “That was such good fun and so good to get the opportunity to play again,” she said.

    “I played with Paul the first day and it was great to watch the way he played the course where he won the Open.”